IED Barcelona Design University
Since 1966, Istituto Europeo di Design has been providing academic training in the disciplines of Design, Fashion, Visual Arts, Communication and Management at its centres in Milan, Rome, Florence, Turin, Venice, Cagliari, Como, Madrid, Barcelona, São Paulo and Rio de Janeiro. Since its opening, more than 130,000 students have graduated and every year it attracts more than 10,000 students from all over the world. IED focuses on organising teaching projects and traineeships linked to corporate reality and has signed more than 1,000 business agreements over its more than 50 years of experience.
The IED Barcelona campus is in the district of Gràcia. Since 2002 it became consolidated as one of the most important schools in design training and was recognised as a School of Higher Studies in Design by the regional government of Catalonia (Generalitat de Catalunya), offering Undergraduate Degrees in Product Design, Interior Design, Fashion Design and Graphic Design, in addition to university diplomas (IED Diplomas) in Management for Creative Industries, Bachelors of Arts (Honours) validated by the University of Westminster, masters and postgraduates courses, continuing study programs and summer courses, that every year draw in nearly 1,000 students from more than 100 different countries, thanks to the school's multicultural and interdisciplinary environment.
The IED Barcelona Fashion School trains professionals to be able to interpret fashion and its expressions and develop their personality with the research investigation methodology. The students acquire the skills to create a collection, to organise a fashion show and knowledge about fashion marketing and communication, enabling them to create their own brands or work in important companies.
Didactics is focused on a practical methodology of experimental projects and business simulations performed jointly with professionals in the sector. It is divided into subject modules so students can develop one project after another, not many at the same time. A more effective proceeding that allows improvement in both the development of concepts and production process of each project.
All teachers are fashion active professionals from all around the world, from designers to stylists, photographers, coolhunters, pattern makers, entrepreneurs, creative directors, marketing specialists, etc. Equipped with considerable expertise as well as academic knowledge, they pass on key information and knowhow to students to help them grow professionally. Also, a number of visitors from the fashion industry visit the school and share their expertise. In addition, students can visit top designers in their studios such as Custo Barcelona or Jose Castro, or visit brands such as Mango or Desigual to see firsthand the design process up close.
Students also have the opportunity to participate in different local and international events such as 080 Barcelona Fashion, Sónar +D, The Youth Mobile Festival during the Mobile World Congress or the Barcelona Design Week and collaborate with real enterprises and institutions such as FIBA, Fundació Quo Artis or SEAT.
- PriscaVERA | Prisca Franchetti
- Marc Oliver Sancho
- Cristina Tamborero
- Jenny Murray
- Eva María Bazán
- Isabel Uribe
- Cynthia Buttenklepper
- Natalia Sushchenko
- Beatriz Baleeiro | Desginer at Alexander McQueen (London)
- Susy Sans | Designer at Valentino (Roma)
- Pol Anglada | Designer at Loewe (Paris)
- Inés Monjo | Peter Pilotto (London)
- Lluis de Javier | Gareth Pugh (London)
- Benedikt Luedke | Designer at Adidas (Germany)
- Xue Mao | Designer at Andrés Sardà (Barcelona)
- Gabriella Fenwick | Designer at Marine Serre (Paris)
HEAD OF SCHOOL
| Julia Weems
After studying Art History and Costumes, Fashion and Textile Design, she started freelancing as stylist in New York for magazines such as Glamour, FHM, Paper Magazine or Podivm.
She worked in costumes design for Teatre Lliure, Teatre Tantarantana o the Gale Gates Arts Center, as well as for several video and music productions.
Her career also includes collaborations in fashion shows productions (Jose Castro, Circuit), in addition to her performance as a market editor for Style.com. As designer, she has collaborated with Jose Castro besides creating her own brand.
She is currently the Director of the Fashion School of IED Barcelona Design University.
| Pilar Pasamontes
Law graduate, currently she is the Scientific Fashion Director at IED Barcelona Design University.
Designer of accessories and ideologist of the stores “special effects”. Fashion, advertising, film and television stylist. Fashion expert with monthly section in Marie Claire magazine. Fashion consultant for television and companies.
- Undergraduate Degree in Fashion Design (taught in Spanish)
- Undergraduate Degree in Fashion Design, itinerary in Styling and Fashion Communication (taught in Spanish)
- BA (Hons) in Fashion Design, validated by Westminster University
- BA (Hons) in Fashion Marketing and Communication, validated by Westminster University
- Master in Fashion Management
- Master in Fashion Marketing and Communication
- Master in Fashion Design
- Master in Fashion Knitwear Design
- Postgraduate in Fashion Accessories Design
- Postgraduate in Wedding and Ceremony Dresses Design
- Postgraduate in Design for Wearables
- Postgraduate in Footwear Design
- Postgraduate in Trends Research
- Postgraduate in Fashion Product Management
- Postgraduate in Craft in Digital Manufacturing
- Summer Course in Fashion Product Management
- Summer Course in Future Materials in Fashion: Lifestyle, trends and design
- Summer Course in Sustainable Fashion
- Summer Course in Beachwear Design
- Summer Course in Fashion Printing
- Summer Course in Experimental Jewellery Design
- Summer Course in Fashion Photography
- Summer Course in Fashion Design (English) – Junior
- 9 Fashion labs
- Printmaking lab
- Makers lab - workshop for 2D and 3D printing. It has a large-format HP printer that can be used to print fabric, a vinyl cutter and plotter, a 3D printer and a laser cutting and engraving machine.
- Medialab - With the possibility to take place 3 different photoshoots.
- 4 mac labs
- Library with books, movies, magazines.
- Digital resources. WGSN, leading online platform to analyse and forecast trends in current lifestyles and consumptions; Vogue Italia & Harper's Bazaar archive, digital records including practically every edition form the very first issue to the most recent ones; Adobe Creative Suite, throughout all the years enrolled in the school, students can enjoy for free the following applications: Adobe Photoshop CC, Adobe Illustrator CC, Adobe Indesign CC, etc.
Students Center Offers a welcome and consultation service to students who need it, helping them to adapt to their new environment. The department wants to be a place that helps to improve and enrich the experience of being a student at the school in every possible way
Career Service offers students the possibility to explore career opportunities and extracurricular internships. It also bridges contacts and organizes meetings and events with companies. Students and alumni can view and apply for vacancies through the online platform.
STUDENT LIFE / CITY OVERVIEW
TUITION & SCHOLARSHIP INFORMATION
Starting from 6.200 Euros. Full list of prices available here.
IED Barcelona organises every year a scholarship contest aimed to all those young people who want to point its professional career to the areas of Design, Fashion, Visual Communication and Management & Design Strategies. The school offers one scholarship of each course: Undergraduate Degrees in Design, BA (Hons), IED Diplomas and One Year. The winners will be granted with a scholarship for the value of 100% or 50% of the chosen course tuition fee. More information about dates, rules and how can you take part in the contest at our web page.
Email address: email@example.com
Official Website click: here.